Luke and Lorelai finally go on their first date where Luke tells Lorelai he wants a relationship with her. Back at Yale, Rory moves into her new dorm and is worried when Paris isn't already moved in. Paris informs her that Asher has passed away.
Luke and Lorelai go on their official first date at a restaurant owned by old friends of Luke's parents. Luke reminds Lorelai of how they met, shows her a horoscope she gave him for good luck that he's kept in his wallet, and assures her that he intends to go the distance with her. Lorelai spends the night at Luke's place. In the morning, she goes down to the diner to get coffee, and the breakfast crowd sees her wearing only Luke's shirt.
There's surprisingly little gossip about Luke and Lorelai until the next town meeting, where Taylor uses charts to show how disastrous a breakup between them would be for Stars Hollow. Meanwhile: Rory meets a rich Yale student named Logan Huntzberger and chews him out for being rude to her friend Marty. Paris holds a wake for Asher that all the guests assume is a keg party with a weird theme. Emily freaks out when she discovers that Richard has a social life she doesn't know about, so she invades Rory's dorm during the wake.
- Lorelai and Luke have their first date at Sniffy's Tavern.
- She is also introduced to Maisy Fortner and Bertram 'Buddy' Linds, who appear to be a sort of surrogate parents to Luke.
- Maisy went to school with Luke's mother
- Buddy helped Luke when he opened the diner.
- First appearances of Logan, Finn and Colin.
- lily-a-passion | GRANT LEE PHILLIPS
- the best is yet to come | TONY BENNETT
- "Delta Dawn" by Tanya Tucker
- "The Times They Are a-Changin'" by Bob Dylan
- "Crazy" by Patsy Cline
- The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
- A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare
- Robert Frost
- Lorelai – Don't be so puritanical. After all, Heather has two mommies
- Rory – Crazy
- Lorelai – You said it Patsy Cline
- Luke – Your shoes work well with that shirt.
- Lorelai – Gee, Carson, thanks.
- Emily – The Farthingtons' dogs are apoplectic. Ridiculous choice of animal – a vicious 3-inch ball of hair and a bow – a ridiculous pink bow for the vicious killers. "Oh, watch out! Cecil Beaton and the Duke of Windsor are headed straight for my shoes!"
- Paris – He had a heart attack. He was teaching a Shakespeare class – "A Midsummer Night's Dream." He was doing Puck, and then suddenly he wasn't. And the class was so into his reading, they didn't even get it. They thought he was acting. It was Dick Shawn all over again.
- Paris – It'll be the Mountain Girl trial all over again.
- Lorelai – Did Paul Thomas Anderson write this?
- Logan – What, they were out of Orlando Bloom?
- Gypsy – You backed up. You didn't look. You got in, you turned on your car, and then you whipped out of that space like you were Lizzie Grubman
- Paris – (about Asher Fleming) He's my Mike Todd