Returning from her summer internship in Washington, D.C., where she mingled with members of Congress, including Senator Barbara Boxer (guest-starring as herself), Rory (Alexis Bledel) faces a dilemma in her conflict over Dean (Jared Padalecki) and Jess (Milo Ventimiglia). Lorelai (Lauren Graham) is overjoyed to have Rory home, but the news that Christopher's (David Sutcliffe) girlfriend is having a baby leaves Lorelai questioning her future.
- Lauren Graham as Lorelai Gilmore
- Alexis Bledel as Rory Gilmore
- Melissa McCarthy as Sookie St. James
- Yanic Truesdale as Michel Gerard
- Scott Patterson as Luke Danes
- Liza Weil as Paris Geller
- Jared Padalecki as Dean Forester
- Milo Ventimiglia as Jess Mariano
- Sean Gunn as Kirk Gleason
- and Kelly Bishop as Emily Gilmore
- special appearance by
- Edward Herrmann as Richard Gilmore
Special Guest Stars
- Senator Barbara Boxer as Herself
- Congressman Doug Ose as Himself
- Jackson Douglas as Jackson Belleville
- Emily Kuroda as Mrs. Kim
- Liz Torres as Miss Patty
- Michael Winters as Taylor Doose
- Mike Gandolfi as Andrew
- Lane does not appear in this episode.
- First appearances of Jamie and Shane.
- Jess has a new fling – Shane.
- Paris goes on a date with Jamie.
- Taylor's invented a new festival.
- This is the first time Sean Gunn (Kirk) appears in the opening credits.
- "Those Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer" by Foster and Allen
- Lorelai – We need Q-tips
- Luke – I'll alert the media
- Lorelai – Hmm, cotton balls, world peace, Connie Chung's original face back.
- Luke – (to Lorelai's belly) Goodbye, Sid and Nancy
- Lorelai – Leopold and Loeb. I changed my mind, don't tell Rory
- Rory – You had another dream?
- Lorelai – Yes
- Rory – The doctor is in
- Lorelai – ...and Bill Maher is cancelled. The name of the show was Politically Incorrect, for God's sake, didn't anybody read the title? He was supposed to say those things!
- Lorelai – Cool. See if you can steal me something off of Tom Daschle's fruit plate
- Paris – (talking in her sleep) I did not have sexual relations with that woman
- Paris – Do you really think it looks good to have the American secretary of the treasury traveling around with Bono? ...I mean, why not just send Carson Daly over to the Middle East next time Cheney goes, huh? Or hey, hook up Freddie Prinze Jr. with Colin Powell next time he meets with NATO
- Rory – I got to see Archie Bunker's chair at the Smithsonian
- Paris – They give up careers and become alcoholics, and if you're Sunny von Bülow, wind up in a coma, completely incapable of stopping Glenn Close from playing you in a movie
- Sookie – (holding up a frilly lamp) What do you think? Manly?
- Lorelai – In an Oscar Wilde sort of way, absolutely
- Lorelai – You're not seriously telling me the future of your marriage depends on Leon Troutsky over there. (gestures at a mounted trout trophy)
- Lorelai – I thought you and Dean might enjoy a little Peaches and Herb's time together.
- Rory – But for now solidariety, sister!
- Lorelai – Ya-Ya!
- Richard – Did you really have pictures of Norman Rockwell family Christmases dancing in your head?
- Lorelai – Maybe we could really be a family, in the stupid, traditional 'Dan Quayle, golden retriever, grow old together, wear matching jogging suits' kind of way.
- Rory – Ladies and gentlemen, the Williams sisters take center stage at Wimbledon once again