The Lorelais' First Day at Chilton is the 2nd episode of season 1 of Gilmore Girls. It is the 2nd produced episode of the series.
You get extra points if you sing the school song --- in Latin. Chilton isn't a place where cutoffs and cowboy boots are the fashion. But that's what Lorelai hurriedly throws on to accompany Rory to the posh school.
Lorelai oversleeps on Rory's first day at Chilton, and discovers that all her good clothes are at the cleaners. She throws on a tiny tie-dyed top, Daisy Mae shorts, and cowboy boots to the dismay of Rory, the Chilton headmaster, and Emily, who has shown up for Rory's first day. Lorelai and Emily leave after some awkward moments in the headmaster's office, bickering the entire way out. Rory's day goes downhill from there. She's handed a three inch binder containing one week's worth of notes from one class and meets some insufferable classmates who are determined to make her life at Chilton miserable.
- "I'm the Man Who Murdered Love" by XTC
- "I Don't Know How to Say Goodbye to You" by Sam Phillips
- "Stars and Stripes Forever" by John Phillip Sousa
- War and Peace, by Leo Tolstoy
- Anna Karenina, by Leo Tolstoy.
- David Copperfield, by Charles Dickens
- Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens
- A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens
- Little Dorrit, by Charles Dickens
- Also referenced: Dostoevsky, Balzac, George Sand and Shakespeare .
Pop Culture ReferencesEdit
Lorelai: No! I look like that chick from The Dukes of Hazzard.
Headmaster Charleston: What are your aspirations?
Rory: I want to go to Harvard and study journalism and political science.
Headmaster: On your way to being...?
Rory: Christiane Amanpour.
Headmaster: Not Cokie Roberts.
Headmaster: Not Oprah, Rosie, or one of those women from The View?
Lorelai: I was supposed to look together and fabulous and not like I'd been up all night playing quarters!
Drella: Hey, do I look like I have Panasonic stamped on my ass?
Miss Patty (to her students): Walk smooth. That's the new Harry Potter on your heads. If they should drop, Harry will die and there won't be any more books.
Lorelai: My clothes were at the cleaners and I had the fuzzy clock and it didn't purr on time!
Luke: It didn't purr?
Lorelai: It's fuzzy. It purrs.
- The "Welcome to Stars Hollow" sign shows a population of 9,973.
- In this episode, Sean Gunn plays a character named "Mick". In the rest of the series, Sean Gunn plays "Kirk".