- “Luke – She picked you
Jess – God knows why
Luke – She knows, that’s all that matters”
- —Luke helping Jess
Lorelai takes Manhattan with Alex, Sookie, and Jackson. But she's concerned about leaving Rory and Jess alone. Not to worry. After the young lovers have a major blowout at Emily's, Jess walks out.
Lorelai goes off with her new boyfriend for a weekend in New York, but worries about leaving Rory and Jess alone together. Meanwhile, when Jess shows up for dinner with Rory and her grandmother, Emily, and refuses to explain his black eye, Rory accuses Jess of fighting with Dean. Lane hatches a plan in order to hang out with her new beau.
- This episode marks the last appearance of Alex Lesman
- "In a Young Man's Mind" by the Mooney Suzuki
- "One For My Baby" by Frank Sinatra
- "Baba O'Riley" by The Who
- "New York Mining Disaster" by The Bee Gees
- The Holy Barbarians by Lawrence Lipton
- Easter Parade
- Lord of the Rings
- The Little Rascals
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- Gone with the Wind
- Lorelai – Hey, you know what Gran needs?
- Emily – What?
- Lorelai – A fella.
- Rory – With or without an umbrella
- Lorelai – It's like a Dean Martin roast.
- Rory – Those are never funny to me.
- Lorelai – Yeah. They're mean.
- Rory – Except for Don Rickles
- Lorelai – You and Dean have mutual friends in common that Rory and I don't? Who would that be? The Talbots, or that senior partner at Deloitte & Touche?
- Jess – Find somebody who vaguely resembles me, take him. Just don't kiss him goodnight.
- Rory – That's not going to work.
- Jess – Andy Warhol did it all the time.
- Miss Patty – Kind of like what Elaine Stritch did on Broadway, but without the bitterness.
- Miss Patty – Did you know that I once met the great Bette Davis? I was a chorus girl in a bus-and-truck tour of Guys and Dolls. Beantown. I love that town.
- Luke – Saw Hairspray last week.
- Lorelai – I cannot picture you watching Hairspray.
- Luke – It was okay. I liked The Producers better.
- Lorelai – Aren't we just a Broadway baby?
- Lorelai – I came up here for a book. It's one of Luke's.
- Jess – Well, if it doesn't have Encyclopedia Brown in the title, that narrows it down a lot.
- Luke – Rory and Jess?
- Lorelai – No. Ben and J. Lo.
- Lorelai – I knew each piece of clothing I had to bring, down to the Spice Girls necklace I plan to wear Saturday morning for breakfast because we agreed to keep it a little whimsical.
- Rory – So, not your Jonas Salk necklace.
- Rory – Your stretchy jeans and your Bunny Ranch T-shirt.
- Lorelai – You're guaranteed a great Norma Desmond-style breakfast the next morning.
- Alex – I saw Moose Murders. This stinks worse.
- Jess – Get a clue, Columbo