- Zack – When the Sex Pistols roomed together, no way did they have a night light
- Brian – You don't know that
- ―Hep Aliens
Conspicuous consumption. Hurt that Richard spends so much time on business, Emily hits the mall, dragging Lorelai and Rory in her wake. Plus: Lane moves into an apartment with her band mates.
Kirk branches out from dog sitting for Lulu into a new canine-centered career. Paris goes into germ-phobic overdrive when Rory gets a cold. Lane gets an apartment with Zack and Brian and faces a frigid reception from her aunt and mother. In order to spend some time together, Lorelai and Rory decide to play hooky and go window shopping in the mall, where they run into Emily in the middle of a shopping binge meltdown. As always, Luke is there to help Lorelai when she needs it. Emily has difficulty connecting with Richard.
- Lane moves out of the Kim house.
- First appearance of Lane's cousin, Christine
- One of the few episodes where Emily and Lorelai have a real conversation.
- Lorelai – Don't worry, it's just a working title. Baz Luhrmann's directing.
- Lorelai – It's just when I picture letter writing, I picture Charles Dickens.
- Rory – How very The L-Word.
- Lorelai – No, I didn't, because our once-wonderful relationship -- envy of all the world, more intimate than that of the naked couple in the "love is..." cartoons -- has degenerated into e-mail correspondence.
- Christine – I love the floorboard thing! It's so Hogan's Heroes.
- Christine – I thought my mom was harsh, but your mom makes the guy from Joy Division look like one of the Teletubbies.
- Lorelai – This is the least amount of fun I've ever had, barring the time we went to Mummenschanz.
- Lorelai – "Emily the Strange" with the black cat and the boots made for kicking.
- Lorelai – Me wants them! My precious!!