One's Got Class and the Other One Dyes is the 4th episode of Season 3 on WB drama Gilmore Girls.
The Stars Hollow PTA invites Lorelai (Lauren Graham) and Luke (Scott Patterson) to speak at the high school's career day, but when the students bombard Lorelai with questions about her teenage pregnancy, the PTA moms turn ugly. After discovering that her mother (Emily Kuroda) wants her to go to a conservative religious college, Lane (Keiko Agena) asserts her independence by dyeing her hair purple, with Rory's (Alexis Bledel) help.
Lorelai's stint in the Stars Hollow High School local business success speakers forum gets derailed by some controversial personal questions, much to the delight of Luke and the consternation of some PTA mothers. Luke and Jess argue about the women in and out of their lives (and their closets). Lane alleviates her frustration about the strictures of her household and the future of her band through a colorful, if temporary, display of independence. Rory runs into Shane one too many times and succumbs to a severe bout of snarkiness.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Brian and Zack.
- Lane admits to Rory that she's in love with Dave.
- Actress Riki Lindhome plays a girl in the classroom who asks Lorelai personal questions while Lorelai is giving her speech. Lindhome also plays Juliet in 4 episodes in 2005-2006.
- "London Calling" by The Clash
- "Funky Days are Back Again" by Cornershop
- "Naima" by John Coltrane
- "Love Burns" by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
- "Cities in Dust" by Siouxsie and the Banshees
- "I Don't Mind" by Slumber Party
- U2, Jimmy Buffett
- "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen
- "Hello Dolly" by Louis Armstrong
- "Margarita Bell" by Jimmy Buffet
- Lorelai – My whole face spins around a bunch of times and winds up at the back of my head like Daffy Duck
- Zack – Lawrence Welk cranked louder than this.
- Dave – There's no way you're gonna become our Pete Best.
- Lorelai – I'm a success, who'd have thought?
- Rory – I suspected you had it in you.
- Lorelai – From rags to riches, I wonder why Larry King hasn't called.
- Lorelai – My friend the Sultan of Brunei is so hard to pin down.
- Lane – Quaker College was a delightful surprise, with its special appeal to Richard Nixon, who's dead but still deeply involved in campus recruiting.
- Lane – What do you think, pink? Or is that too Pink the singer, and Kelly Osbourne, and Gwen Stefani?
- Rory – I got a package
- Lane – What's that?
- Rory – Oh, Jim Carrey says that in Ace Ventura.
- Lane – Thinking about Vin Diesel now.
- Luke – Yeah, zip-a-dee-doo-dah.
- Lane – Brian's got a Snoopy tattoo.
- Lane – This is the most radical thing a Kim has done since my cousin got caught reading Maxim at summer camp.
- Lorelai – It wasn't funny.
- Luke – Not from your angle. From mine it was An Evening at the Improv
- Luke – Looks like High Noon in Stars Hollow.
- Lorelai – Usually I like to meet up at Sardi's after a performance, wait for the reviews. I hope the Times liked me.
- Lorelai – I tried to fend them off, but they kept coming at me like I was Poland and they were Nazis.