Mrs. Kim is the mother of Lane Kim, Rory's best friend from Stars Hollow. She owns Kim's Antiques, which is in her house. She is a follower of the Seventh Day Adventists, and her strict parenting of Lane forces her daughter into a double-life. She is portrayed as a very stern woman, who still speaks with a Korean accent (but with good English skills, even if she speaks mostly in short staccato sentences). Because of her Korean heritage and religious nature, she is suspicious of common American customs and lax attitudes, but she at time displays a surprising depth of understanding of their ways, as illustrated when she helps Zack rewrite a pop song, or when she gets Lorelai's "Knockers" pun. When she visits Lane's home she shares with her bandmates for the first time, she runs out out of shock.
It is learnt during Lane's wedding that Mrs. Kim, like Lane, has taken a different route than her mother in terms of lifestyles. While Mrs. Kim's mother is a Buddhist, she herself is a Christian, unknown to her mother. (just like how Lane secretly had a different lifestyle in the past while pretending to be a dedicated Christian) Also, it is revealed that Mrs. Kim only had sex once in her entire life, and was lucky to carry Lane. She seems to abhor the idea of engaging in sexual practices (calling it "terrible things"), even telling Lane that she just "has to do it" even if she doesn't want to because of a man's expectations. Although Lane thought Mrs. Kim would be mad after she becomes unexpectedly pregnant, she is happy at the news of getting grandchildren and gives her blessing to both Lane and Zack.
- She has never been alone with two boys.
- Mrs. Kim moved to the US in 1984.
- Salad water is kept in the Kim house as a soft drink substitute.
- She has a sister, Joon, with whom she is close in age. There's also a younger brother who is closer in age to Lane. Joon has a daughter, Christine.
- When Lane went on her hockey date, she took a serious picture, claiming it was for the grandchildren. This is a common, if somewhat dated, practice in Korea.
- She used to be in an all-girl Christian tambourine band.
- Keeping secrets seems to run in the Kim family; the fact that she is Seventh Day Adventist is kept a secret from her Buddhist mother, and Lane kept most of her life from her mother.
- Mrs. Kim says she's only been able to read the Bible in one night three times in her life. This was discovered after Dave performed the same feat to earn Mrs. Kim's approval and ultimately her respect.
- Mrs. Kim says she likes "to play it fast and loose" after reciting a line from Shakespeare's King Henry VIII.