- “People are particularly stupid today, I cannot talk to any more of them”
- —Michel at work[src]
Michel is the concierge of the Independence Inn and later the Dragonfly Inn. He is often grumpy, sarcastic, unpleasant, and a militant health nut, but always manages to remain somewhat lovable somehow. He finds other French people odious and hopes that his suits will be a deduction when the inn has to cut down on spending. He accompanies Lorelai and Sookie through all of their business ventures. As Lorelai once put it: "We are addicted to you." He also has two dogs, Paw-Paw and Chin-Chin. Chin-Chin passed away in the 7th season.
Michel started working at the Independence Inn in 1998 and has thus known Sookie and Lorelai two years when he is introduced. While Michel is eternally sarcastic and rude, he also has moments of enjoying the company of Sookie and Lorelai, or wanting to be included despite no indication through his general behaviour towards them. The one person Michel gets along with is Mia, the owner of Independence Inn, and, in an interesting parallel, also at times, Emily Gilmore.
His griping can sometimes appear a front or even just a stale disposition as Michel shows affection for Sookie and Lorelai, the latter most evidently when he feels threatened by the affable night manager Tobin's relationship with the ladies.
- I hate you – very very much!
- – Michel to Lorelai
- Afraid of swans: cause he was attacked when he was a kid.
- Michel loves Celine Dion and has seen her in concert six times.
- He hates children, but volunteered to look after Davey due to paranoid feelings about Tobin.
- Michel lived in France until he was 18, after which he left for unknown reasons.
- A ballerina and an ensemble performed at his graduation.
- He and his mother are very close-they always go shopping together, watch movies, and gossip whenever she's in town.
- A notorious health freak, he's known to reject omelets if they aren't made from egg whites. He'll count the blueberries in his pancakes as well. One time, he weighed what he was going to eat due to hearing that it would help extend a rat's life and thus his. Also, he freaked out once upon hearing that his fat free creamer was actually two percent, and ran in place to try and burn off the excess calories.
- He loves to dance.