Lane Van Gerbig (née Kim) is Rory Gilmore's best friend (next to Lorelai) in Star's Hollow, a friendship that continued over the course of seven seasons, even after Rory moved on to Chilton and then to Yale. They have been best friends since age four or five.
Lane was raised by a strict Korean mother, Mrs. Kim, who was disapproving of her love for rock music and desire to be a drummer and drove Lane to hide all her rock CDs and forbidden clothing under floorboards and under the mattress in her bedroom. On a rebellious impulse, Lane once dyed her hair purple, but later panicked over what her mother would think of it and dyed it black again (3.04). She kept a polaroid photo of her with purple hair, however, which was taken by Rory.
The presence of a Mr Kim is something that is debated amongst fans, with Lane often referring to "her parents", especially in the earlier seasons, but Mr Kim is never featured in the show.
Lane had a number of romance relationships over the course of the show, the first Henry Cho (Eddie Shin) which ended when he grew tired of hiding their relationship from Mrs. Kim. Lanes next relationship was with with Dave Rygalski (Adam Brody). He came into her life after Lane posted a Drummer seeks Band notice, eventually forming Hep Alien with Dave, Zack and Brian. The relationship had to remain a secret from Mrs Kim, as Dave was not a desirable match, not being Korean or a Doctor. Mrs Kim had repeatedly tried to set Lane up with potential young Korean doctors in the hope of one sticking, so to speak. Eventually, Lane became frustrated with her mother's latest set-up and had her first alcoholic drink at their band's first gig at a teenage party. She makes a drunken phone call to her mother and confesses that she is a drummer in a band and indeed dating Dave Rygalski. Dave was Lane's first kiss (Bible, Kiss, Bible) and the relationship ended after Dave went to college in California.
After Dave left, Lane attended 7th Day Adventist College, at her mother's request, until Lane and her band (Dave now replaced in the band by Gil) had a gig at a club in New York and two in the morning. Unable to come up with an alibi acceptable to Mrs. Kim, Lane instead snuck out of the house. Mrs. Kim realized Lane was gone and later led to the inevitable confrontation between Lane and her mother once Mrs. Kim had ransacked Lane's bedroom and found all the hidden clothes, CDs and make up. Lane then chose to move out. After a few weeks of playing house keeper for Rory and her Yale dorm mates in exchange for accommodation, Lane decided to move into a rental house with her band mates, Zack and Brian. While living with the two of them she continued to work as a waitress at Luke's. She didn't return to 7th Day Adventist College.
Lane's third and final relationship began while she was living in the rental house and she started to develop feelings for Zack. In spite of some initial reservations concerning Zack's reputation as a womanizer and the effect any potential relationship might have on the band, Lane took a chance and confessed her feelings for him and the two began dating. Once more, Lane's relationship was met with disapproval from Mrs. Kim. The couple encountered other obstacles, such as Lane's realization that she wanted to wait until she got married to have sex and Zack sabotaging the band's opportunity with a label by adding a member and changing the set list right before an important gig out of jealousy; he thought Brian had a thing for Lane. Zack soon realized his mistake, however, and proposed to Lane while she was at work at Luke's.
Lane got married to her band-mate Zack in a three part wedding. When Lane's grandmother showed up from Korea, Lane's mother insisted Lane and Zack stage a traditional Buddhist wedding. Once the grandmother left after the Buddhist ceremony, they held a traditional Seventh Day Adventist wedding ceremony to please Lane's mother. Following the ceremony, Lane's mother went home and Lane and Zack had their reception which was a huge bash in the town square with music and drinks and all their friends.
Lane's honeymoon was not very pleasant as she and Zack both got sick, but she came home with a major souvenir - she had become pregnant with twins. Throughout the final season, Lane continued to work at Luke's and attempted to keep the band rehearsing, which started to fall apart as she got closer to her due date. Brian also continued to live with Lane and Zack. Lane gave birth to twin boys, Steve and Kwan, at the end of season 7.
- She has an aunt, whose name is Joon, and a cousin, whose name is Christine.
- She has an uncle who is around her age. This led to Zack thinking that Mrs.Kim had set her up with him.
- When she went to Adventist college, there were two parks (one for each gender). They also allowed makeup as long as it matched one's skin tone exactly. She considered her life to be over.
- At one point, she became a cheerleader. This was after Rory moved to Chilton, thus leaving her alone.
- She was in the school band. According to her, her band uniform looked like something out of Seargeant Pepper's band.
- Rory became her friend in kindergarten when they decided to share crayons.
- Her godmother to her two children is Rory, a decision she made after seeing how Lorelai smoothed out spats between her and her mother.
- She has a huge CD collection, which is hidden under her bedroom's floorboards. Lane is also knowledgable and opinionated about music, with rock and roll being a particular favorite.
- Claims she would have starved without Rory and Lorelai who regularly kept her supplied with junk food to augment the weirdly healthy diet her mother tried to keep her on while she was living at home
- Cleverly creates complex ruses to subvert her Mother's overly strict rules; making it possible for her to see her friends, boyfriends, watch TV, own and listen to music, play in the band, dress like a normal teenager, wear makeup and eat junk food.
- Her parents tried to set her up with multiple boys throughout the show. The potential suitors include a future proctologist, pediatrician, and chiropractor.
- Her first crush was Henry Oh, a boy at Chilton who she met at Louise's party. He was everything her parents wanted for her (Korean, leader in Vacation Bible School, future pediatrician), and because of that she was hesitant to act on her feelings.