With graduation approaching, Rory (Alexis Bledel) is happily looking forward to attending the Stars Hollow High School prom with Jess (Milo Ventimiglia), but he gets some surprising news from the principal (guest star Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs, "Welcome Back, Kotter"). Lane's (Keiko Agena) band makes its debut at a big party, but the evening ends on an ugly note when the long-standing animosity between Jess and Dean (Jared Padalecki) finally erupts into a fist fight. Meanwhile, Lorelai (Lauren Grham) gets roped into serving on the parents' committee for the Chilton graduation party, putting her back in contact with a very uncomfortable Max Medina (Scott Cohen).
- Last appearance of Scott Cohen as Max Medina on the series.
- Last mention of Alex Lesman
- Lane gets drunk for the first time
- Jess has missed 31 days and has flunked out of senior year for the second time.
- Michel adopts Chin-Chin and Paw-Paw
- Suggestions for band names include:
- The Chops
- Follow Them to the Edge of the Desert
- The Harry Potters
- Devil's Advocate
- "Magic Moments" by Perry Como
- "La La" by Shark Quest
- "Fell in Love with a Girl" by The White Stripes
- "White Riot" by The Clash
- "Calling All Enthusiasts" by Radio 4
- "Saccharine" by Sunday's Best
- "Why" by North Green
- "Dance to the Underground" by Radio 4
- Rory – No it just drives me crazy. It's like if you do Shave and a Haircut without the last part, ya know?
- Rory – The Gilmore house is partying like it's 1999
- Lorelai: And here, it's at home with The 700 Club
- Lorelai – You've been getting some sleep, brother? 'Cause that's forty miles of bad road.
- Lane – Kyle's parents are going to Marriage Encounter for the weekend.
- Jess – Tuxes are also James Bond, that's not geeky.
- Lorelai – It's getting very Cinemax at night in here.
- Sookie – You were both James Deaning it, trying to keep it professional.
- Lorelai – It was not an illusion, Doug Henning.
- Sookie – When I was like, 10, I was sooo into Leif Garrett.
- Dave – It sounds a little too Milli Vanilli, Zach.
- Rory – Hello Cleveland.
- Rory – You and Springsteen: The working-man's hero.
- Zack – Don't forget that the hair and fingernails on John Entwistle's body were still growing when they brought in his replacement.
- Paris – Who decided to do a half hour tribute to Kenny G.
- Lorelai – With Lorelai Gilmore, it's trust but verify.
- Lorelai – You mean, you weren't living like a Trappist monk while you were over there?