- “Children do not make the rules. You may move out and live like that somewhere else”
- —Mrs. Kim asks Lane to leave
Hear the tintinnabulation. New church bells set everyone on edge. More edginess: When Lorelai discovers Luke has moved, she freaks. When Mrs. Kim discovers Lane's secret rock-'n'-roll life, she throws her out of the house.
Lane sneaks out of the house when Gil gets the band a 1:00 a.m. gig at CBGB's. Luke and Lorelai take matters into their own hands when newly restored church bells turn out to be less welcome than originally anticipated. Rory gets personal with William during a political discussion when she suspects that he's been spreading embarrassing stories about her.
Lorelai is initially distressed when she learns that Luke has moved to Litchfield to live with Nicole, but a visit to his apartment over the diner dispels her worries. Lane and her mother have a long-overdue talk with life-changing consequences after Mrs. Kim discovers her daughter's secret life.
- The church bells fell into disrepair in 1983. Luke saw to it.
- Lane reveals to Mrs. Kim that she started her secret life when she was 6 years old.
- *NSYNC, Simon & Garfunkel, Fleetwood Mac, Sarah McLachlan, Rolling Stones, Kraftwerk, The Ramones, Blondie, Sonic Youth, Television, Talking Heads, The New Pornographers, The Strokes.
- The Witches of Eastwick by John Updike
- Lane – You know, it's people like you who are destroying the music industry!
- Rory – Oh, now. Britney's gotta shoulder some of the blame.
- Kirk – Yes, he said I have tinnitus. I looked it up on the web at "Celebrities Who Share Your Disease" and found that William Shatner is likewise afflicted.
- Lorelai – Really, Kirk and Captain Kirk?
- Kirk – The irony wasn't lost on me.
- Lorelai – All those years of watching Hart to Hart are about to pay off.
- Lorelai – Okay, I'm out. What's your plan, Clyde?
- William – Hey, it's Madeleine Albright.