Mama mia! Rory plans to honor her birthday-girl mother with a big party and an even bigger pizza. Richard has a greater surprise: an investment he made for Lorelai at her birth just paid off.
While Lorelai deals with the rebuilding of the fire-damaged Inn, Rory schemes to give her mom a great birthday party, complete with a gigantic pizza. Richard surprises Lorelai with a large check from an investment he made when she was born, and Lorelai uses part of the money to repay her parents for Rory's education, a gesture which does not please Emily. Meanwhile, Luke confirms his fear that Jess has been skipping school to work extra shifts at Wal-Mart. Luke agrees to meet Nicole's parents. Paris returns to school a changed person.
- First appearance of Tobin.
- This is the only time on the show that Lorelai's birthday is celebrated.
- Luke meets Nicole's parents.
- Among Lorelai's birthday treats:
- The world's (town's) largest pizza.
- A playlist at her party of a song for each year she's lived.
- A chocolate cake from Weston Bakery with both whipped cream and butter frosting, which has 'Happy 16th birthday, Lorelai' spelled out on it.
- A surprise party, with the whole town, thrown at Miss Patty's School of Ballet.
- Like Lorelai, Jess doesn't like Indian food.
- Richard's real estate investment in Lorelai's name yields $75,000.
- Michel and Lorelai have known each other for 5 years, indicating Michel started work at the Independence Inn in 1998.
- Hamlet by William Shakespeare (character mention)
- Rory – Luke cannot sweep out chimney.
- Lorelai – Why not?
- Rory – Because you need to be a chimney sweep to sweep a chimney.
- Lorelai – Please. If Dick Van Dyke can do it, so can Luke.
- Paris – My parents return tomorrow, I think my mom is bringing home a new face.
- Rory – Really?
- Paris – There's a doctor in France who injects some kind of gel into your head and molds it to give you better cheekbones.
- Rory – You're kidding me!
- Paris – She needs to sleep on her back for a month, otherwise her face will flatten like a crepe.
- Rory – Oh my God, it's Brazil!
- Lorelai – Put Mrs. Ha-Wiggins on the phone, have her tell me.
- Luke – Yeah, you could send over a couple Oompa-Loompas to kick the crap out of Aunt Tillie.
- Lorelai – $75,000 – oh my God, that's 150 pairs of Jimmy Choos.
- Jess – The cleaned up version of the Eminem Show seems to be selling pretty well.
- Tobin – That is the jacket that Joe Strummer wore during the 1979 Pearl Harbor tour.
- Rory – This is not "Gangs of New York, now with Cameron Diaz!" This is Gangs of New York twenty years ago with Meryl Streep, as Scorsese originally imagined it!
- Lorelai – I've got Polonius and the entire banking system on my side.