What do you do when your guy doesn't call? Go to a hockey game. And if you're Rory, that's where you'll see your old boyfriend with his new girlfriend. Emily catches Gran kissing a strange man.
Tired of waiting for Jess to call and make plans for the weekend, Rory goes to a hockey game with Lane where she runs into Dean and his new girlfriend, Lindsay. Lorelai confronts Jess about his poor treatment of Rory. Meanwhile, Gran comes to stay with the Gilmores for a few days and Emily is shocked to find her mother-in-law kissing a man.
- First appearance of Lindsay Lister
- Dean and Lindsay are dating.
- Lane and Yiung Chui go on their fake date.
- For maybe the first time ever, Richard and Lorelai joke around and laugh, just the two of them.
- Rory tells the 'Mark Twain magnet' anecdote for the first time.
- Rory compares Dean and Jess again, which Lorelai advises against.
- Rory also complains that Jess in unpredictable, which she previously mentioned to Lane as exciting.
- Gran had a boyfriend from not too long after her husband died up until this point.
- Lane introduces the Christian Trio concept to Mrs. Kim.
- "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" by Martin Luthor
- "The Star-Spangled Banner" by Francis Scott Key
- "Amazing Grace" by John Newton
- "I Get Around" by The Beach Boys
- The Distillers
- Othello by William Shakespeare
- Lorelai – Good plan. Bay of Pigs, was that yours too?
- Lorelai – Where do you think the Susan Faludis of the world came from?
- Lorelai – You don't get breaks? Do you get food? Water? Should I get Michael Moore on the phone?
- Emily – I sound like a spoiled high-school girl.
- Lorelai – Not quite. You still haven't asked for the Gloria Vanderbilt jeans and the convertible Rabbit
- Lorelai – What would Miss Manners do?
- Richard – It's like a play by Molière