Lorelai sees something she likes at an auction: a man. Only Emily knows his identity. Should Lorelai break her stay-out-of-my-love-life rule, just once? A broken sprinkler brings Rory and Jess together.
Lorelai attends Emily's society auction where she meets a very handsome man but neglects to get his number, forcing her to ask her mother for it. After a disastrous first date, Lorelai turns down an invitation to another, not realizing that Emily and Richard have a lot invested in her dating this son of their friends. After Lorelai and Rory agree to water their new neighbor's lawn while he's out of town, Jess comes to Rory's rescue when the lawn's sprinkler system malfunctions.
- While on the phone with Payton Sanders, a voice-over has Lorelai saying that his jet just got back "from Maui," while her lips appear to say "from Bali." This episode aired ten days after a car bomb attack in Bali left 202 dead and 209 injured.
- The book that Jess is reading when Rory runs into him is "Visions of Cody" by Jack Kerouac. (1993 Penguin edition.)
- This is the first and only appearance of Dwight.
- "Midnight at the Oasis" by Maria Muldaur
- "Space Oddity" by David Bowie
- "Escape (The Piña Colada Song)" by Rupert Holmes
- Visions of Cody by Jack Kerouac
- Lorelai – No one asked for the Norton Critical Edition
- Dwight – If I would have asked somebody back where I used to live to water my lawn, I would've gotten a much more HBO kind of answer.
- Lorelai – We called him Shamu.
- Lorelai – If we walk in there and his dead mother is sitting in a rocking chair, not a bit surprised
- Lorelai – I love David Bowie, I would love to go…
- Rory – How come we don't have a tiki bar?
- Lorelai – We are not two wild and crazy guys.
- Lorelai – Pretend I'm Antonio Banderas.
- Doris – I should call Erin Brockovich to bring a lawsuit against your parents, you steaming lump of toxic waste!
- Rory – Damn you and your Unabomber tendencies!
- Jess – I like the new look. It's very Blue Crush.