- “Oh, and just you wait 'til spring. You're gonna wake up one morning, walk out, and pow – color coming out of your yin-yang!”
- —Babette introduces Lorelai to gardening[src]
Lorelai and Rory's next door neighbor. She's known for her raspy voice, her frequent mentions of her husband Morey (who appears much less on camera) and a penchant for making inappropriate comments. However, she means extremely well and has a sweet heart.
She is protective of Lorelai and Rory and cares about them very much. In early episodes, she has a cat named Cinnamon, who later passes away. In another early episode, she gets a new kitten, Apricot, whom Rory takes care of. She is portrayed by Sally Struthers.
- That new guitarist – yum yum, like a long-haired cake!
- – Babette on Gil in The Festival of Living Art
- She's worn her wedding dress twice-once for her wedding, another time as the Bride of Chuckie.
- One time she and Morey decorated their room to resemble a jungle paradise. She also bought a negligee so that she could resemble a howler monkey.
- She has a nephew named Gary.
- She was pushed out of a moving car once.
- She was once in a cult.
- She frequently be found gossiping with her dear friend, Miss Patty.
- Her house is built to accommodate her height, which her husband, Morey finds difficult, since he is very tall.
- She and Morey are very into Halloween, and make elaborate decorations on their lawn.
- 1.05 - cat passes away
- 1.14 - gets a new kitten
- 2.20 - tells Rory about the dangers of men and the time she was in a cult
- 4.1- Greets Lorelai and Rory as they arrive home from Europe, she had reported them missing in every country they visited because she'd been confused on their return date.
- 4.13 - Receive Rory and Lorelai in her home