- “Lorelai – Is that Condoleezza Rice?
Kirk – Yes, it is. I'm a fan, and her big mouth is perfect for shoving mail in”
- —Kirk selling mailboxes
Emily plans a launch party for Richard's new business and hires Lorelai and Sookie to be the caterers for the party. And Kirk prepares… extensively… for a date. But neither affair goes quite as expected.
When Emily (Kelly Bishop) plans an elaborate launch party for Richard's (Edward Herman) new company, she hires Lorelai (Lauren Graham) and Sookie (Melissa McCarthy) to cater the affair, then makes them jump through hoops to prove they are worthy of her trust. However, when Richard's partner, Jason (Chris Eigeman) hurts Emily by insisting that her party idea is outdated, Lorelai confronts him about upsetting her mother, and is surprised when he asks her out to dinner. Meanwhile, Rory (Alexis Bledel) has a tough time finding a decent place to study at Yale.
- First appearance of Lulu Kuschner.
- Lorelai is furious at Jason for hurting Emily's feelings.
- This is the first time we hear anyone, in this case, Jason, call Lorelai by her camp nickname – Umlauts.
- Emily – Find out what Jason's going to wear. I don't want the two of you showing up looking like the Bobbsey twins
- Tom – Well, the roof's about to cave in so I can stay within our budget, but then I'd just call 'em all Trigger
- Lorelai – Is that Condoleeza Rice?
- Paris – You'd think he was already President. I don't want to be Hillary
- Lorelai – That's a good story. Hans Christian Andersen?
- Emily – Shame on you for swearing there's a flier. That's the worst possible thing you could do.
- Lorelai – Liv Tyler grew up her entire life thinking Todd Rundgren was her real father. You think that might knock this out of first place?
- Rory – My dorm room has turned into a Three Stooges movie
- Kirk – Say I was Tom Cruise. Where would you seat me?
- Luke – In an acting class
- Rory – It's quiet but not Unabomber
- Lorelai – Every family has a Fredo